Message 00031 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [rox] Licenses for conference contributions

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Stefan Merten wrote:

Hi Graham and all!

2 hours ago Graham Seaman wrote:
Something that has also happened to me in the past is for someone to take
sections of something I wrote and publish them under their own name, for
payment, with no acknowledgement. I'm not wild about that, either,
and rather than a license designed for documentation would prefer one
designed for personal opinions - for example, the one here:
http://www.stallman.org/sinister-publisher.html
which has no unnecessary verbiage and achieves everything I would like.
ould that be acceptable?

Are you absolutely sure about the link? Actually I can't see anything
remotely similar to a license there. But that's perhaps why you asked
;-) .

No, the link is right. Here's the license from it:

<quote>
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Stallman

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in
any medium, provided this notice is preserved.
</quote>

It's a BSD-style license, which I (and rms ;-) think is more suitable for
opinions - you can copy the article (or an audio version of it), or make
it into a pdf or whatever. You can put it on a web-site.But you can't
change it and attribute different words to the author than the ones he
used (not without asking, anyway), and you can't deny that the author
wrote it. You also have the right to take excerpts from it, since
copyright law still allows this whatever the license.

Graham

http://www.oekonux-konferenz.de/

[English translation]
Message 00031 [Homepage] [Navigation]